The work placement is an essential part of the University of Applied Sciences studies and it gives an employer a good opportunity to get to know the experts from Metropolia in a flexible way.
The time, duration, concept, practicalities, goals and assessment varies by the degree programme.
Trainees from the Field of Culture
The dates when the work placement can be carried out varies, however in most of the degree programmes it is possible to carry out the placement during summer.
If you want to offer a placement for summer, it is recommended to send the job offers early in the spring.
The extent of the work placement is approximately five months which equals 30 credits. Work placement is possible to carry out in several parts and under different employers.
Examples of types of jobs!
Studies at degree level in the field of Culture provide the students opportunity to choose different career paths. Here are some examples of types of jobs trainees can find themselves in.
- Work in the museum
- Planning an exhibition
- Designing and production of knitted fabrics
- Designing of print fabrics
- Visual design
- Interior design
- Fashion design
Fashion and Clothing
- Supervising the making up of sample garments
- Duties of a Collection design assistant
- Planning and developing ranges
- Duties of a Purchasing assistant
- Sketching designs
Film and Television
- Assisting tasks in shooting, lighting or image post-processing in film or TV production
- Assisting tasks in recording or sound post-processing in film or TV production
- Assisting tasks in production in film or TV production
- Assisting tasks in scriptwriting in film or TV production
- Background editor in TV, radio or online news desk
- Different documentation projects
- AD assistant duties
- Duties of a graphical design assistant
- Games design
- Designing websites
Trainees from the Field of Business
In Metropolia Business School the students normally carry out their work placement during the summer breaks approximately from May to August. Every year hundreds of business students start their placements.
In the European Business Administration (EBA) degree programme the placement is one year in duration and in European Management (EM) degree programme the placement is carried out in the autumn semester in the fourth year of studies. Approximately 30 double degree students carry out their placements every year.
The extent of work placement is five months which equals 30 credits, however in European Business Administration degree programme the work placement is 60 credits and about 10 months in duration. The double degree students do their placement in one part, all other programmes it is in two parts.
The new degree programme of International Business and Logistics (IBL) starts in August 2008. The students can start their placement already in the first year. The placements based on the major subject start in the summer 2009. IBL also has placements that are five months long.
The placements are normally paid and based on a employer contract. When the students find their a placement, they get an approval from the school representative that necessary job requirements and objectives are fulfilled.
More information on all degree programmes in Metropolia Business School
Examples of titles during placement
The degree programme of Business Administration gives an excellent opportunity to take on various tasks in business life - a few examples have been listed here either by major subject or degree programme.
International Business and Trade
- Export Coordinator
- International Trade Assistant
- Project Coordinator
- Import Assistant
- Export Salesman
Marketing and Logistics
- Media Planner
- HR Assistant
- Marketing Asisstant
- Warehouse Worker
- Production Coordinator
- Project Manager
Accounting and Finance
- Account Manager
- Back office support personnel
- Bank / Counter Clerk
- Financial Assistant
- financial Secretary
European Business Administration
- Production & Marketing Assistant
- External Relationship Agent
- Media Trainee
- Marketing Trainee
- Assistant of Sales Support Unit
- Assistant of Financial Markets
- Event Coordinator
- HR Assistant
- Financial Assistant
- Sales & Marketing Assistant
- Credit Controller Trainee
- Export Salesman
- Product Planning Trainee
- Administration Assistant
International Business and Logistics
- Purchasing Assistant
- Import/Export Assistant
- Logistics Trainee
Trainees from Health Care and Social Services
The supervised work placement is carried out in co-operation with the student, teacher and the employer. It is completed according to each degree program’s curriculum.
The work placement is carried out mainly during the study semester, not on summer time.
The extent of the work placement varies from 45 to 120 credits. The work placement is carried out in several parts.
The work placement facilitates students with skills and methods and teaches how to utilize them in a practical environment.
During the placement the student learns how to develop new practices and analyze the existing ones in order to improve the quality and the productivity of the services for businesses and customers alike.
Trainees from the Field of Technology
Examples on trainees' work tasks
- Automation turnkeys
- Process planning
- System planning
Bio and Food Technology
- Protein purification and characterization
- Sugar's quality control analyses
- Verification of bioreactor's simulation model
Building Services Engineering
- Contract calculation, installation work
- Heat loss and energy assessments
- Measuring and alignment work
- Assisting in algicide studies
- Flue gas analyses
- Management and quality control tasks at coating head
- Automation installation
- Configuration and testing
Industrial Management and Engineering
- Inspection of goods, order-picking, packing, filling
- Logistics production control
- Store logistics operations calculation
- Help Desk support tasks
- SW design, development, testing
- Symbian C++ programming
- PDH/SDH device configuration
Land Surveying Technology
- Collecting sounding data
- Soil testing
- Supervision of measuring work
Materials Technology and Surface Engineering
- Powder painting
- Process development
- Quality control
- Assisting in product support, consulting and marketing
- Duties of Production Assistant
- Planning and implementation of media network solutions
- Flash animation
- Graphic design
- Offset printing