Degree: Master of Engineering
Duration: 1,5 years
Extent: 60 ECTS
Free of charge:Applicants from EU/EEA
Annual tuition fee: 11 000 € for non-EU/EEA applicants
See if you are required to pay tuition fees
Study places: 40
Next application period: 9 - 24 January 2018
Transfer application: 1 - 15 May
1 - 15 NovemberRead more
Why study with us?
Looking for new career prospects? Interested to broaden your knowledge in Information Technology? Need new skills to deal with upcoming challenges?
Our aim is to educate you to work in advanced specialist tasks in the field of ICT, focusing on two fields: networking and services and health technology. The studies enable you to follow the professional development of the field, both from the applied research and practical viewpoints.
The program is targeted for professionals in working life wishing to become a Master in Information Technology. Studies are designed and implemented in such a way that students in full-time employment can participate. Prerequisite for participation is a bachelor level degree in engineering and at least three years of working life experience is required. There is no entrance exam. The student selection is based on two preliminary assignments, see details in application pages.
Our intercultural program is conducted in English to allow improvement of your communication skills. Your Master's degree will directly refer to your real life project and address both your company's and your personal interest. The teaching is aimed at professionals both with an industry and a public sector background.
Program content (preliminary)
The degree consists of Professional Studies (30 ECTS credits) and Master’s thesis project (30 ECTS credits). Studies consist of lectures, laboratory work, workshops, assignments, and projects as well as independent studying. The professional studies are offered at the Bulevardi campus.
In the first study year, you will undertake a course in research methods and attend a seminar on Trends in ICT, and complete 20 ECTS from our course offerings for professional studies. You can broaden your studies by completing one course outside the advanced professional courses offering or by doing a research or innovation project on an agreed topic.
The methodological studies provide you the required knowledge to prepare and facilitate a high quality Master’s Thesis. The lectures on Trends in ICT -course are given by professionals from highly esteemed companies in the field of ICT and health technology and will provide you with a good understanding of the current status of the business and the challenges the industry is facing. Course includes a 3 or 4 day excursion to Medica 2017 trade affair that is the largest trade affair in the medical field. The excursion is held in November 2017. Students can apply for 200 euros sponsorship from Metropolia. Excursion can be replaced with individual assignment related to course content.
The advanced professional courses are divided into two major options:networking and services and health technology.
Networking and services
The networking and services option gives a broad and up-to-date knowledge on this fast developing field of networked applications. Cloud Computing gives an insight into existing and emerging technologies and tools for utilizing and creating cloud-based services and applications. The Big Data course provides understanding of the capabilities of big data in ICT business. The Internet of Things (IoT) course extends this knowledge into internetworking of devices to collect and exchange data to form “the infrastructure of the information society”. In this major option the participants will also get knowledge of methods and tools used for assuring good software quality.
Health technology is the fastest growing field of technology in Finland. The Health Technology option is tailored for professionals working in business, industry and public sector, who want to deepen their knowledge, skills and competences in health technology to capture new career opportunities of the future. Studies enable novel career prospects for professionals with previous degree for example from ICT, automation, electronics or electrical engineering.
The Health technology option is focused on medical device R&D. Option gives knowledge of health technology business environment and tools for management and business development purposes, and knowledge and tools for user oriented medical device R&D and usability testing. Option provides knowledge and tools for understanding clinical parameters, measurements, devices and environments, and understanding of special characteristics of medical device development. Health technology option includes a hands-on development approach, directly applicable and tightly integrated to each participant’s work tasks.
The second study year (autumn) is reserved for the Master´s Thesis. The study is usually completed in cooperation with your employer.
Preliminary course contents 2017 - 2018
Trends in ICT
- Presentations from external representatives in the field of Information and Health Technology covering new services, business models and other innovations effecting the overall ecosystem
- Presentations from students on selected IT related topics
- Assignments given during the course
- Research approaches (action research, multiple and single case studies, construction research approach)
- Research methods and techniques applicable in a Master’s Thesis
- Data collection methods and approaches to data analysis (including reliability and validity issues)
- Structure, research design, and objective of a Master’s Thesis
- Big Data in ICT business: applicability, opportunities, models and processes, legal and ethical constraints
- Acquisition and preprocessing of data, interfaces to data
- Data management solutions (RDBMS, No-SQL, other data models), MapReduce and distribution of workload
- Analysis of big data: data mining methods (association analysis, clustering, classification), text and web mining, analysis tools, visualization and communication of analysis outcomes
- The concept of cloud computing
- Classification of cloud services: private vs public, SaaS, PaaS, IaaS
- Cloud computing in enterprise architecture
- Cloud platforms, service providers, and economy of cloud-based solutions
- Client solution technologies
- Data security and legal issues
- Hands-on assignments
- What do we mean by quality? What does quality mean for participants? Does it mean bugless code or does it mean a system that satisfies customers’ expectations?
- Using coding standards, refactoring and tests to drive to better code.
- Agile processes: do we get more satisfying systems and user interfaces?
Internet of Things (IoT)
- Potential applications and services provided by IoT
- The overall architecture of IoT
- Standards and frameworks supporting IoT
- Enabling technologies for the IoT
Health Technology Business and Management
- Introduction to Health Technology
- Healthcare in transition.
- Healthcare Environments and Customers
- Business Development
- Management Skills
User Oriented R&D in Regulated Environment
- Medical Devices
- Usability Engineering Process
- Usability Testing
- Planning and Conducting a Usability Test
- Usability Evaluation
Clinical Information and Measurements
- Anatomy, Physiology and Vital Functions
- Physiological signals and Measurements
- Sensor Technology
- Measurement Devices
- Clinical Environments
Medical Device Development Characteristics
- European Medical Regulation and FDA Standards
- Quality Systems and Standards
- Control and Audit Practices
- Formal Documentation
- Requirement Specification and Risk Assessment
A complete list of course offerings will be announced before the application period starts.
Your competence portfolio after you have completed MEng degree
- Broadview to information technology or health technology presented by leading companies in the ICT or health Technology field
- Up-to-date knowledge on selected topics
- Ability to conduct a professional research study
- Valuable network of experts to boost your career
After graduating with a Master of Engineering Degree in Information Technology, you may work in advanced specialist tasks in international engineering surroundings of ICT or health technology industries. In some sectors a Master’s degree is often a prerequisite for management positions.
Brothers in Arms - two colleagues from Nokia at the Master’s graduation ceremony
I have always been interested in learning new skills and learning in an intensive way such as in this Master’s program suits me the best, said Raimo Ahosola at the graduation ceremony. And you never know when a formal Master’s level degree is required.
Today’s fast changes both in technology and job market require constant update to one’s knowledge. Continuous learning has become a habit for me, continued Jari Kallio. I also prefer a traditional type of education where a teacher is present compared to virtual, web-based courses. Even though I must say that combining work and studies was sometimes a little challenging.
This program suited me very well, said Raimo. The content included something totally new but also something that I was already familiar with … therefore the workload was OK. And meeting other students with different backgrounds is always refreshing. I was also able to do my Master’s thesis to my employer which helped a lot.
Now when I graduated I must say that the program was an excellent experience, continued Jari. I also enjoyed meeting new people from different companies and countries. Maybe some courses outside the technical area could have been nice to broaden the scope as engineering is not the whole world. This was probably the last degree program as such that I complete, but I will never stop studying.
I think the main value of this program to me was that it provided a wide view on the IT-field. When you are working for a long time in the same position in a company it is difficult to see what else is happening there, added Raimo. Also the academic skills obtained in this program are for sure valuable in future projects.
Lavanya Alamuri, Master of Engineering
I spent most of my life in India and moved to Finland in 2008 with my husband for his job at Nokia. I have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering and worked for Wipro Technologies Ltd, in India for three years before moving to Finland. The sudden introduction to a very open Finnish culture was a bit of cultural shock for a while. Metropolia created a perfect environment for me to come closer to the Finnish culture and education system.
Master’s degree programme in Information and Technology has the most amazing combination of subjects. They fell in perfect place for my aspirations to be in pace with digital age. Coming from a Computer Engineering background, studying mobile programming, cloud services and networks expanded my knowledge in mobile domain, which helps me to a great extent in my job of creating games at Rovio.
I did my Master’s thesis on Mobile Advertising which provided me an avenue to strengthen my understanding on mobile market and the potential for advertising. Ads are one of the key revenue generators for the games. This helped me in my work to understand the bigger picture.
Metropolia gave me a truly international, multicultural environment. I loved the flexible learning and student life experience here. Most importantly it suits the working professionals as the courses are in the evening. Teachers are highly supportive and provide a good guidance. Just like my friends, I would highly recommend this programme at Metropolia University of Applied Sciences.
Listen to Lavanya’s interview in radio NRJ in 2/2014.
Timetable 2017 - 2018 (preliminary)
Autumn 2017 courses last from week 36 to 51, and spring 2018 courses from week 2 to 18. Courses will typically (depends on selected courses) take place during one afternoon and one or two evenings per week. Common courses are planned for Monday evenings and start at 17.00.
Open University of Applied Sciences
Open University of Applied Sciences (Open UAS) gives you an opportunity to study all the advanced professional courses of the Master’s Degree Programme in Information Technology.
Open UAS gives you an opportunity to:
- build up on your knowhow and skills needed in working life
- learn about studying at a University of Applied Sciences
- carry out courses before applying for a degree programme
- study as a hobby