Metropolia joined on 26 September, 2012 The Climate Partners network, a joint organisation formed by business and the City of Helsinki and the City of Helsinki. The network increased its list of members at an event held at the Helsinki City Hall, Mayor of Helsinki, Jussi Pajunen, signed environmental commitments with the Aalto University, ABB, Bring Express, Gaia, Gasum, Green Net Finland, the University of Helsinki, the Helsinki Cooperative Society Elanto (HOK-Elanto), Itella, Kämp Group, Metropolia, Motiva Oy, Nordic Offset, Finland’s environmental administration, Sitra, and Yleisradio Oy (Yle). In their respective commitments, the partners defined how they plan to mitigate climate change in their own operations.
Positive effects on the environment
Large companies, research facilities, and solution providers joined the Climate Partners on 26 September. The Climate Partners commit to reducing their greenhouse gas emissions by enhancing their operations and offering better products and services for controlling climate change. In addition to signing the commitments, the Climate Partners network aims to improve the competitiveness of the companies, to find new business possibilities, and to enhance cooperation between the members of the network. Sitting at the same table with the companies, the research facilities can create new kinds of innovative solutions for a society that produces lower emissions.
The commitments are available at www.ilmastokumppanit.fi
Some examples of the commitments:
- Yle will reduce its electricity consumption in the Yle Centre in Pasila by at least 15 % by 2016.
- Through its research and development work, SYKE will produce tools and information materials to various actors in society for controlling climate change.
- Sitra will be carbon neutral by the end of 2017
- Nordic Offset will teach the Environmental Partner companies about becoming more carbon neutral in their operations in an event organised by the Environmental Partners network.
- Motiva promises to offer companies, public administration, and consumers information about and solutions for making resource-efficient and sustainable choices.
- The staff and students at Metropolia will carry out the Green Office programme on all campuses by 2017.
- The amount of mixed waste at Kämp Group will be less than 10 % of the total amount of waste by 2018.
- Itella will reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by 30 % from 2007 to 2020.
- The Helsinki Cooperative Society Elanto will make its energy use 20 % more effective by 2016 and will increase the use of renewable energy sources by 1 % per year.
- The University of Helsinki will add information material on being environmentally friendly and controlling climate change when travelling, eating, using water and energy, as well as recycling into the orientation period for every new student.
- Green Net will help cleantech companies to develop clean technologies, increase their environmental business and implement and import the newest innovations in the field.
- The service vans and other company cars driven by the staff of Gasum will use Finnish carbon dioxide neutral biogas starting in December 2012.
- Gaia will compensate for its emissions by 200 % starting in 2012, at which point the company will have a positive effect on the environment.
- From 24 September 2012 onwards, every Bring Express car will have a system that produces real-time location information and reports on fuel consumption, kilometres driven and driving behaviour.
- ABB will promote electric cars by introducing an electric car by the end of 2012 and by sharing information on the advantages of using electric cars in the city.
- The aims of the Otaniemi international architecture competition include environmentally friendly and ecologically sustainable construction and transport. The outcome of the competition will be the construction of the new Aalto campus centre in connection with the future Otaniemi underground station in 2015.
Climate Partners looking for partners in different fields
In addition to companies, the network hopes to attract partners from universities and polytechnics, organisations and other associations. Its goal is to attract as many different partners as possible in order to facilitate wide-ranging and innovative collaboration.
You can join Climate Partners at www.ilmastokumppanit.fi
Deputy Mayor Pekka Sauri will serve as the chairman of Climate Partners, and the network will be coordinated by the City of Helsinki Environment Centre together with the City of Helsinki Economic Development.
For more information, please contact:
Director of Environment Protection and Research
City of Helsinki Environment Centre
Metropolia celebrates the Pride week with flags on the campuses
"Parity and equality are part of education in the university communities. The importance of those values are never reminded often enough in the global world", President and CEO Riitta Konkola says.
The pride flags are out during the celebration week a...
Helsinki XR-Center Housewarming Party & Grand Opening
We have a pleasure to cordially invite you to the Housewarming party & Grand Opening of Helsinki XR Center - the home of Extended Reality.
Please join us for drinks and hors d’oeuvres on 5th of September from 4 pm to 8 pm. Our honorary guests cut the red ribbon of the first class XR sho...
10 Days 100 Challenges all about women in tech and buying sustainably
10 days 100 Challenges is an open innovation programme and a part of Professional Summer School where participants learn new...
Brainstorming solutions for health technology in Digital Wellbeing Sprint
Digital Wellbeing Sprint is an o...
SIMHE-Metropolia and SIMHE at University of Helsinki Presented Their Services at the World Village Festival in Helsinki
A record number of students with Master's degree and within business administration – Maija will go from graduation party to A&E and peacekeeping
Master's degrees are more and more popular. This time there is a record num...
The Finnish game industry professionals chose Bit1 2019 winners
Metropolia UAS Annual Report 2018 Published
The report covers the reviews of the Chairman of the Board, Henri Kuitunen, and the President and CEO, Riitta Konkola, financial statements and graphics of the UAS’ key figures.
Metropolia turned ten in August 2018, m...
CERN BootCamp started with kick off days in Tikkurila
Learning café takes place during the kick off days. The aim is to get the students to know the challenger and each other and also b...
Various business ideas were developed in Cambridge Venture Camp
The Finnish week has been busy. During the we...
Van Lang University and Metropolia strengthen their cooperation - focus on cleantech and sustainability
The aim is to strengthen mutual academic cooperation both in staff and teacher exchange as well ...
Financial statements 2018: Metropolia posts an improved result and enhances its social impact through innovation hubs
Financial statements 2018
Turnover and other operational income totalled EUR 96.2 million. Operating expenses amounted to EUR 94.4 m...
Helsinki XR Center - the gateway to Finnish VR and AR
Spotlighters, a European project supporting learners with self-regulatory practices from the science of stress
The Relocation of Metropolia’s Leppävaara Campus to Karamalmi in Espoo Has Been Confirmed
Metropolia closed its Leppävaara Campus on 4 March for safety reasons, after the owner of the property, the City ...
Mr Jari Olli appointed member of Industry Consultative Committee at University of Colombo’s Faculty of Technology
A statement: Competence Clusters, Internationalisation and Funding for Higher Education Institutions Must Be Strengthened to Safeguard Welfare
With its constituent cities and institutions of higher education, the Helsin...
Extending Design Realities – Technologies For Urban Participation And Resilience
Extending Design Realities explores the use of rapidly evolving extended reality technology (XR; augmented, virtual and mixed reality) in participatory urban planning to create better participation and enhance urban resilience.
Separate application period for Metropolia´s international degree programmes in spring 2019 by SAT test
Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business and Logistics Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology
Degrees in ...
Metropolia UAS initiates negotiations on relocating the Developer Campus for Smart Solutions from Leppävaara to Nokia´s facilities in Karamalmi
The Karamalmi facilities are located three kilometers from the current Leppävaara site.
Sohjoa Baltic Opened Procurement for Robotbuses to Helsinki and Tallinn
Metropolia closes Leppävaara campus from 4.3.2019 onwards - Until then teaching will be reorganised with special arrangements
During 25.2.-3.3.2019, there will not be any contact teaching, but the t...
City of Espoo announced about the poor condition of Leppävaara Campus – Relocation planning has started
Metropolia has begun t...
Thank you to all applicants for our international degree programmes
Metropolia has in its offering six Bachelor’s degree programmes i...
LOGY Association awards Metropolia alumnus with scholarship
Otto Hokkanen - A Bold Entrepreneur and Grateful BBA student
Make the choice of your life - choose Metropolia UAS!
The joint application for the English-taught Bachelor’s and Master's Degrees is from 9 to 23 January 2018. The studies beg...
New publication: Metropolia Master´s – Discussions on the development of work life
Record number of students graduate in 2018
Lobbying and Decision Making in the EU - Metropolia Business School on a Study Trip in Brussels
The first part of the trip focused on the decision-making processes ...
Urban Research as a European Mission – U!REKA Consortium held its 3rd Conference
The consortium is formed by six European universities, and its purpose is to use its shared focus ...
The Finnish higher education attracts the global education consultants
“This cooperation lasts long time” - The first staff exchanges between Metropolia and University of Colombo started
Substantial Erasmus+ funding for collaboration with partner institutions outside Europe
3UAS and EduExcellence featured in learning festival Dare to Learn
Dare to Learn gathered a vast and international group of experts to disc...
ICT Summer School is fun and not just for ICT-students
SWAIP - Develop curricula for a study programme which will train artists and health workers
The two-year Strategic Partnership Social inclusion and Well-being through the Arts and Interdisciplinary Practices (SWAIP) has received €204.855 from the Erasmus+ programme, to develop curricula for a study programme, which will train artists and health workers with an arts background to work wit...
The Ministry of Health of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Metropolia UAS
The content of the memorandum contributes t...
Metropolia's 10th anniversary
Student selection now published — Metropolia welcomes 3300 new students
Metropolia had a total of around 24 000 applicants this spring. Over 3500 applications were submitted to Metropolia in the joint application for the degree pr...