A statement by the cities and institutions of higher education in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area:
Competence Clusters, Internationalisation and Funding for Higher Education Institutions Must Be Strengthened to Safeguard Welfare
With its constituent cities and institutions of higher education, the Helsinki Metropolitan Area comprises an innovation and competence cluster unique to Finland, containing the potential to succeed in stiffening global competition, thus benefiting all of Finland.
The cities and higher education institutions of the capital region believe that the next government and parliament have the opportunity to provide better preconditions for the cities and higher education institutions in the region, as well as throughout Finland, to succeed.
This is why the next government must support the region’s development into the best innovation and competence cluster in the world, consolidate its skills base and its ability and opportunities to make investments, as well as foster conditions that generate new jobs.
By creating preconditions for success, the government will
- Support the development of the metropolitan area into the best innovation and competence cluster in the world. To achieve this, the government must
- Increase the gross domestic product share of its contributions to research, development and innovation funding in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area. The goal is to raise the RDI share of the private and public sector to 5% of the regional gross domestic product.
- Promote the availability of skilled employees, as well as the operating conditions of universities and universities of applied sciences.
- Support with separate funding the consolidation of research and development clusters in the Helsinki Metropolitan Region, particularly in potential growth sectors, such as applications related to artificial intelligence and virtual reality, robotics, clean and smart solutions, health technology, the bioproduct industry, biomedicine and information networks, as well as related application opportunities.
- Promote the attractiveness of Finland and the Helsinki Metropolitan Region among international experts together with the region’s cities and institutions of higher education. To achieve this, the government must
- Set attracting international experts to the Finnish labour market as one of the spearhead themes of its programme.
- Launch, together with the largest cities, a programme to attract international experts to Finland, as well as make related permit processes smoother and faster.
- Support higher education institutions in attracting international students, as well as in measures related to their smooth transfer to the Finnish labour market.
- Improve the employment opportunities of the spouses and other family members of international experts, as well as expand foreign-language services.
- Ensure sufficient resources for language education and connect the education to employment and professional training in an increasingly flexible manner.
- Ensure in both the Helsinki Metropolitan Area and the whole of Finland sustainable resources for universities and universities of applied sciences to provide education and conduct research. To achieve this, the government must
- Guarantee the preconditions needed for stable development and long-term operations to higher education institutions by raising their core funding to a sustainable level. This will be achieved by permanently reinstating the university index or by seeing to the matter, for example, by providing capital to universities or by making an increase in the level of core funding. Funding can also be developed by merging existing resources into clearer strategic entities.
- Allocate a new, fourth duty of lifelong learning to universities of applied sciences, as well as provide funding to increase the student intake of the vocational schools and universities of applied sciences in the Helsinki Metropolitan Region.
- Push for the increase of research and innovation funding also in the EU.
- University of Helsinki
- Aalto University
- Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences
- Hanken School of Economics
- Metropolia University of Applied Sciences
- Laurea University of Applied Sciences
- Arcada University of Applied Sciences
- University of the Arts Helsinki
- Diaconia University of Applied Sciences
- Humak University of Applied Sciences
Match Up - The XR Event 20th Nov 2019 4 -9 PM
During the evening attendees will meet top AR/VR c...
The robot bus trial experiences in Helsinki positive - the challenge level rising
Climate University drives sustainability education
U!REKA Eyes New EU European Universities Bid
This is a grant programme for cooperative European higher education institutions, which aims to educate a new generation of European stu...
Metropolia welcomes around 3300 new degree students
In total, 30 800 candidates applied to Metrop...
First Sri Lankan graduated with a Top-up Bachelor Degree in Nursing
Mr Kankanigei held an Advanced Diploma in Nursing from the International Institute of Health Science...
Metropolia celebrates the Pride week with flags on the campuses
"Parity and equality are part of education in the university communities. The importance of those values are never reminded often enough in the global world", President and CEO Riitta Konkola says.
The pride flags are out during the celebration week at Met...
Helsinki XR-Center Housewarming Party & Grand Opening
We have a pleasure to cordially invite you to the Housewarming party & Grand Opening of Helsinki XR Center - the home of Extended Reality.
Please join us for drinks and hors d’oeuvres on 5th of September from 4 pm to 8 pm. Our honorary guests cut the red ribbon of the first class XR showroom...
10 Days 100 Challenges all about women in tech and buying sustainably
10 days 100 Challenges is an open innovation programme and a part of Professional Summer School where participants learn new work...
Brainstorming solutions for health technology in Digital Wellbeing Sprint
Digital Wellbeing Sprint is an open i...
SIMHE-Metropolia and SIMHE at University of Helsinki Presented Their Services at the World Village Festival in Helsinki
A record number of students with Master's degree and within business administration – Maija will go from graduation party to A&E and peacekeeping
Master's degrees are more and more popular. This time there is a record num...
The Finnish game industry professionals chose Bit1 2019 winners
Metropolia UAS Annual Report 2018 Published
The report covers the reviews of the Chairman of the Board, Henri Kuitunen, and the President and CEO, Riitta Konkola, financial statements and graphics of the UAS’ key figures.
Metropolia turned ten in August 2018, m...
CERN BootCamp started with kick off days in Tikkurila
Learning café takes place during the kick off days. The aim is to get the students to know the challenger and each other and also b...
Various business ideas were developed in Cambridge Venture Camp
The Finnish week has been busy. During the we...
Van Lang University and Metropolia strengthen their cooperation - focus on cleantech and sustainability
The aim is to strengthen mutual academic cooperation both in staff and teacher exchange as well ...
Financial statements 2018: Metropolia posts an improved result and enhances its social impact through innovation hubs
Financial statements 2018
Turnover and other operational income totalled EUR 96.2 million. Operating expenses amounted to EUR 94.4 m...
Helsinki XR Center - the gateway to Finnish VR and AR
Spotlighters, a European project supporting learners with self-regulatory practices from the science of stress
The Relocation of Metropolia’s Leppävaara Campus to Karamalmi in Espoo Has Been Confirmed
Metropolia closed its Leppävaara Campus on 4 March for safety reasons, after the owner of the property, the City ...
Mr Jari Olli appointed member of Industry Consultative Committee at University of Colombo’s Faculty of Technology
Extending Design Realities – Technologies For Urban Participation And Resilience
Extending Design Realities explores the use of rapidly evolving extended reality technology (XR; augmented, virtual and mixed reality) in participatory urban planning to create better participation and enhance urban resilience.
Separate application period for Metropolia´s international degree programmes in spring 2019 by SAT test
Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business and Logistics Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology
Degrees in ...
Metropolia UAS initiates negotiations on relocating the Developer Campus for Smart Solutions from Leppävaara to Nokia´s facilities in Karamalmi
The Karamalmi facilities are located three kilometers from the current Leppävaara site.
Sohjoa Baltic Opened Procurement for Robotbuses to Helsinki and Tallinn
Metropolia closes Leppävaara campus from 4.3.2019 onwards - Until then teaching will be reorganised with special arrangements
During 25.2.-3.3.2019, there will not be any contact teaching, but the t...
City of Espoo announced about the poor condition of Leppävaara Campus – Relocation planning has started
Metropolia has begun t...
Thank you to all applicants for our international degree programmes
Metropolia has in its offering six Bachelor’s degree programmes i...
LOGY Association awards Metropolia alumnus with scholarship
Otto Hokkanen - A Bold Entrepreneur and Grateful BBA student
Make the choice of your life - choose Metropolia UAS!
The joint application for the English-taught Bachelor’s and Master's Degrees is from 9 to 23 January 2018. The studies beg...
New publication: Metropolia Master´s – Discussions on the development of work life
Record number of students graduate in 2018
Lobbying and Decision Making in the EU - Metropolia Business School on a Study Trip in Brussels
The first part of the trip focused on the decision-making processes ...
Urban Research as a European Mission – U!REKA Consortium held its 3rd Conference
The consortium is formed by six European universities, and its purpose is to use its shared focus ...
The Finnish higher education attracts the global education consultants
“This cooperation lasts long time” - The first staff exchanges between Metropolia and University of Colombo started
Substantial Erasmus+ funding for collaboration with partner institutions outside Europe
3UAS and EduExcellence featured in learning festival Dare to Learn
Dare to Learn gathered a vast and international group of experts to disc...