Update for Autumn 2021 semester:
Metropolia welcomes applications for exchange studies for Autumn semester 2021.
We are planning to implement all teaching activities as normally as possible during Autumn semester 2021. However, at the moment we cannot say what the situation regarding the pandemic restrictions will be in the autumn semester. If at all viable, we will organize at least part of the teaching face-to-face, but the possibility of online teaching still remains. Furthermore, we are unable to predict what the border restrictions will be in the autumn, and we urge all non-EU applicants especially to keep an eye on the website of the Finnish embassy in their home country. The Finnish embassy will have the most current information on residence permit proceedings.
Q&A sessions for partners and students interested to apply to Metropolia:
Step-by-step Application Instructions
Step 1: Check the partner agreement
Only students from partner institutions can apply as exchange students to Metropolia. Check if your institution has a mobility agreement with Metropolia in your field of study:
If your institution does not have a mobility agreement with Metropolia, you can apply to Open Studies (as a non-exchange/non-graduate student) or to the Metropolia Summer Schools. If you are interested in completing a full degree at Metropolia, see How to Apply.
Step 2: Check studies for exchange students in your field of study
See Courses for exchange students to see study options in each field of study.
In order to successfully complete studies at Metropolia, level B2 in English on the CEFR scale is highly recommended for all applicants. This evaluation is based on self-assessment; language certificates are not required.
Step 3: Ask your home institution to nominate you
Your home institution needs to nominate you for student exchange at Metropolia before the application period ends. Student exchange at Metropolia cannot last longer than one academic year.
Step 4: Fill in the electronic application
Application periods for incoming exchange students:
- Applications for the Autumn Semester and Full Academic Year: 15 March - 1 May
- Music students: 1 March - 1 April, more information below in the field specific instructions
- Applications for the Spring Semester: 15 September - 1 November (recommended deadline for non-EU students: 1 October)
- Music students: 1 September - 1 October, more information below in the field specific instructions
Fill in the electronic application form in the Mobility-Online system. The application process includes several steps: the online application form is just the first step. The link will be active during the application periods:
- Electronic application form (link is active during application periods)
- Application form instructions
Required documents for the application:
- Official Transcript of Records in English signed by a representative of your home institution (your study transcript)
- Learning Agreement signed by a representative of your home institution (your preliminary study plan for your exchange period). Note! Metropolia will evaluate and sign only one Learning Agreement prior to arrival in Finland (the Learning Agreement submitted as part of the application).
- Erasmus students: Use the English version of your home institution's Learning Agreement form. If your home institution is using Online Learning Agreement (OLA) the international coordinators are responsible for the signatures. Make a pdf-version of the Online Learning Agreement and upload it to Mobility online
- Other incoming exchange students (e.g. students from institutions located outside Europe, FIRST, Nordplus): Use this Learning Agreement (Word). If any changes occur to your original Learning Agreement during your studies at Metropolia, you can mark them into this Learning Agreement During Mobility form (Word).
- See the available courses
- Motivation letter included in the application form (max. 1,000 characters incl. spaces)
- Check also the study field specific attachments below:
Students Applying for The Field of Business
Selecting your degree programme in the online application:
- Exchange students > International Business and Logistics - tuition in English, 0410
- Double degree students > European Business Administration - tuition in English, 0410
- Double degree students coming from HTW Saar > International Business and Logistics - tuition in English, 0410
- Master's exchange students from FH Munster or Hochshcule für Technik Stuttgart > Business Informatics - Master's, 0410
Institutional information for Learning agreement:
- Institution name: Metropolia UAS
- Field of study: Business
- Erasmus code: SF HELSINK41
- Department: International Business
- Address: Leiritie 1, 01600 Vantaa, Finland
- Country code: Finland, FI
- Contact person name: Kaisa Meghjee-Salminen, international coordinator
- Contact person e-mail: kaisa.meghjee-salminen [at] metropolia.fi
- Contact person telephone: +358 40 673 8443
Responsible person at the receiving institution for exchange students (and Double Degree students from HTW Saar):
- Name: Ann-Sofie Shevlane
- Function: Study Coordinator
- E-mail: ann-sofie.shevlane [at] metropolia.fi
Responsible person at the receiving institution for double degree students to European Business Administration:
- Name: Oksan Niemi
- Function: Study Coordinator
- E-mail: oksan.niemi [at] metropolia.fi
Responsible person at the receiving institution for master students to Business Informatics:
- Name: Nea Kivekäs
- Function: Study Coordinator
- E-mail: nea.kivekas [at] metropolia.fi
Students Applying for The Field of Culture and Creative Industries
Degree programmes in Conservation, Design, Fashion and Clothing, Film and Television and Media:
If you need to submit your portfolio, please upload it to Mobility-Online as well or send a link to it to kaisa.meghjee-salminen at metropolia.fi.
Please see programme specific requirements here:
- Conservation: Portfolio
- Design (Textile Design, Interior Architecture, Industrial Design): Portfolio
- Fashion and Clothing: Portfolio
- Film & Television: CV and motivation letter: a short description of previous audiovisual studies or projects: name and short description of the project, role during the project. You can also add a hyperlink for 1-3 fiction or documentary short films.
- 3D animation and visualisation: CV and portfolio. The portfolio should reflect skills and knowledge in the field of 3D graphics. It is necessary to have some previous knowledge of 3D programmes such as Maya.
- Media/Digital Media: CV, a link to a LinkedIn-profile (if you have one) and a short description of previous media studies or projects: name and short description of the project, role during the project (visual design, concept design, user experience design, coding, etc.). You can also add a link to a project site or screen shots. If you do not have experience from the field, you can write a motivation letter instead.
Degree programme in Music:
All Music students must apply through online application system EASY. Required application documents to be uploaded to EASY:
- Transcript of Records in English (study transcript)
- Learning Agreement / study plan
- Demo /audition material (max. 3 pieces of music played by the student; various styles, various instrumental expression)
Application periods for Music students:
- Autumn semester, Full academic year, Spring semester: 1 March - 1 April
- Spring semester: 1 September - 1 October
Decisions will be sent to the students in April / October. All accepted students must fill the Metropolia common online form before the deadline 1 May / 1 November in order to get official acceptance letter and housing & arrival information. Instructions will be sent to the accepted students by e-mail.
Students Applying for The Field of Health Care and Social Services
Students with clinical placements:
- Submit Curriculum Vitae (CV) to Mobility-Online. CV should include information of your previous placements.
- In your application please specify the clinical area you wish to do your placement in and whether there is any flexibility in the areas.
- If student will participate in clinical placement the workload for each week for every student is 40 hours which is equivalent to 1.5 ects.
- Placements in pediatric nursing and delivery room are not available
- If student is not allowed to administer medications, insert IV cannula or prepare IV medication please inform us during the application period
Students of Oral Hygiene:
- Please be ready to present proof of Hepatitis B immunisation cover or adequate antibody level
Students Applying for Project Studies in The field of Technology
Please note, that this does not apply to the Innovation Project courses that are organised for exchange students. Please don't submit a CV or a project topic if you are taking part in an Innovation Project course!
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Proposed project topic
Students interested in doing a project in the field of Technology during the student exchange period should indicate this clearly in the motivation letter. Please note that students are advised to primarily choose courses from the field of technology degree programmes or international semesters where tuition is organised in English. Project opportunities are available only in a few programmes.
Step 5: Apply for housing
The application periods for exchange student housing at HOAS are:
- 1 April - 5 May for students applying for the autumn semester/full academic year
- 1 October - 5 November for students applying for the spring semester.
NB! Submit your application as early as possible during the HOAS application period. The available rooms are offered in the order the applications are submitted. Due to the limited number of furnished exchange student rooms, please note that applying by the deadline does not guarantee housing at HOAS. See more information on housing (including link to application form for housing).
Step 6: Confirm if you accept the offered place
Applications are reviewed after the application period ends. Within a month after the application period has ended you will receive information on whether you have been accepted as an exchange student or not. Please note that acceptance is certain only after you receive an acceptance letter from Metropolia. Accepted students will receive an acceptance letter and information package by email.
After receiving the acceptance letter you must confirm in Mobility-Online if you accept the offered place or not.
Step 7: Plan your arrival
All exchange students are expected to arrive before the orientation days (see Academic Calendar). The exams are always arranged within the semester dates. You can find more information on studying at Metropolia and living in the Helsinki region on our student life and wellbeing pages.
Questions? Explore carefully the Metropolia website and contact the international coordinator of your field of study, if needed.