Step 1: Check the partner agreement
Only students from partner institutions can apply as exchange students to Metropolia. Check if your institution has a mobility agreement with Metropolia in your field of study: Partner institutions. If your institution does not have a mobility agreement with Metropolia, you can apply to Open Studies (as a non-exchange/non-graduate student) or to the Metropolia Summer Schools. If you are interested in completing a full degree at Metropolia, see How to Apply.
Step 2: Check studies for exchange students in your field of study
See Studies for exchange students to see study options in each field of study.
In order to successfully complete studies at Metropolia, level B2 in English on the CEFR scale is highly recommended for all applicants. This evaluation is based on self-assessment; language certificates are not required.
Step 3: Ask your home institution to nominate you
Your home institution needs to nominate you for student exchange at Metropolia before the application period ends. Student exchange at Metropolia cannot last longer than one academic year.
Step 4: Fill in the electronic application
Application periods for incoming exchange students:
- Applications for the Autumn Semester and Full Academic Year: 15 March - 1 May
- Applications for the Spring Semester: 15 September - 1 November
NB Music students! Application periods: 1 February - 1 April for Autumn semester and Full Academic year: / 1 September - 1 October for Spring semester. Check more instructions at: Students applying for the field of culture and creative Industries - Degree Programme in Music
Fill in the electronic application form in the Mobility-Online system. The application process includes several steps: the online application form is just the first step. The link will be active during the application periods:
- Electronic application form
- Application form instructions
Required documents for the application:
- Official Transcript of Records in English signed by a representative of your home institution (your study transcript)
- Learning Agreement signed by a representative of your home institution (your preliminary study plan for your exchange period). Note! Metropolia will evaluate and sign only one Learning Agreement prior to arrival in Finland (the Learning Agreement submitted as part of the application).
- Photo (500x500 pixels)
- Motivation letter included in the application form (max. 1,000 characters incl. spaces)
- Check also the study field specific information below:
Selecting your degree programme in the online application:
- Exchange student, please select > International Business and Logistics - tuition in English, 0410
- Double degree student, please select > European Business Administration - tuition in English, 0410
- Erasmus students must use the English version of their home institution's Erasmus Learning Agreement form.
- Bilateral and other incoming exchange students use the Learning Agreement available on the Metropolia website.
- Please be aware that Metropolia will evaluate and sign only one Learning Agreement prior to arrival in Finland (the Learning Agreement submitted as part of the application). Due to the large volume of exchange students, no new forms or edits in the Learning Agreement can be processed and signed before arrival.
- Please use this contact information in your Erasmus Learning Agreement:
- Institution name: Metropolia UAS
- Field of study: Business
- Erasmus code: SF HELSINK41
- Department: International Business
- Address: Leiritie 1, 01600 Vantaa, Finland
- Country code: Finland, FI
- Contact person name: Kaisa Meghjee-Salminen, international coordinator
- Contact person e-mail: email@example.com
- Contact person telephone:+358 40 673 8443
Responsible person at the receiving institution for exchange students:
- Name: Anu Luoma
- Function: Study Coordinator
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible person at the receiving institution for double degree students:
- Name: Oksan Niemi
- Function: Study Coordinator
- E-mail: email@example.com
Degree programmes in Conservation, Cultural Management, Design, Fashion and Clothing, Film and Television and Media:
All students must upload a CV in the same step with the Transcript of Records in Mobility-Online. If you need to submit your portfolio, please upload it to Mobility-Online as well or send it to kaisa.meghjee-salminen(at)metropolia.fi. The portfolio can be in pdf-format or you can submit a hyperlink to your website.
Please see programme specific requirements here:
- Conservation: CV and Portfolio
- Cultural Management: CV
- Design (Textile Design, Interior Architecture, Industrial Design): CV and Portfolio
- Fashion and Clothing: CV and Portfolio
- Film & Television: CV and a hyperlink for 1-3 fiction or documentary short films
- Media/3D animation and visualisation: CV and portfolio. The portfolio should reflect skills and knowledge in the field of 3D graphics. It is necessary to have some previous knowledge of 3D programmes such as Maya.
- Media/Digital Media: CV, a link to a LinkedIn-profile (if you have one) and a short description of previous digital media studies or projects: name and short description of the project, role during the project (visual design, concept design, user experience design, coding, etc.). You can also add a link to a project site or screen shots. If you do not have experience from the field, you can write a motivation letter instead.
- Media/Graphic Design: CV, portfolio and a short description of the projects you have done in the field of visual design: name and short description of the project, your role during the project. The portfolio should reflect skills and knowledge in visual design.
Degree programme in Music:
All Music students must apply first through EASY: online application system EASY.
Required application documents to be uploaded to EASY:
- Transcript of Records in English (study transcript)
- Learning Agreement / study plan
- Demo /audition material (max. 3 pieces of music played by the student; various styles, various instrumental expression)
Application periods for Music students:
- Autumn semester, Full academic year, Spring semester: 1 February - 1 April
- Spring semester: 1 September - 1 October
Decisions in Music:
Decisions will be sent to the students in April / October. All accepted students must fill the Metropolia common online form (Mobility Online) before the deadline 1 May / 1 November in order to get official acceptance letter and housing & arrival information. Instructions will be sent to the accepted students by e-mail.
Students with clinical placements:
- Submit Curriculum Vitae (CV) to Mobility-Online. CV should include information of your previous placements.
- In your application please specify the clinical area you wish to do your placement in and whether there is any flexibility in the areas.
- Metropolia can only offer maximum 5 week placement for each student. Workload for each week for every student is 40 hours which is equivalent to 1.5 ects.
- Placements in pediatric nursing and delivery room are not available
- According to the Infectious Diseases Act of Finland students in the health care sector must meet certain immunization requirements. Students should fill up this form regarding health status and immunization cover. This form should be presented when requested after arrival to Finland. Please do not send it with email.
- If student is not allowed to administer medications, insert IV cannula or prepare IV medication please inform us during the application period
Students of Oral Hygiene:
- Plesae be ready to present proof of Hepatitis B immunisation cover or adequate antibody level
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Proposed project topic
Students interested in doing a project in the field of Technology during the student exchange period should indicate this clearly in the motivation letter. Please note that students are advised to primarily choose courses from the field of technology degree programmes or international semesters where tuition is organised in English. Project opportunities are available only in a few programmes.
Step 5: Apply for housing
The application periods for exchange student housing at HOAS are:
- 1 April - 5 May for students applying for the autumn semester/full academic year
- 1 October - 5 November for students applying for the spring semester.
NB! Submit your application as early as possible during the HOAS application period. The available rooms are offered in the order the applications are submitted. Due to the limited number of furnished exchange student rooms, please note that applying by the deadline does not guarantee housing at HOAS. See more information on housing.
Step 6: Confirm if you accept the offered place
Applications are reviewed after the application period ends. Within a month after the application period has ended you will receive information on whether you have been accepted as an exchange student or not. Please note that acceptance is certain only after you receive an acceptance letter from Metropolia. Accepted students will receive an acceptance letter and information package by email.
After receiving the acceptance letter you must confirm in Mobility-Online if you accept the offered place or not.
Step 7: Plan your arrival
All exchange students are expected to arrive before the orientation days (see Academic Calendar).
Questions? Explore carefully the Metropolia website and contact the international coordinator of your field of study, if needed.