Pre-assignment (100 points) for Master's Degree Programme in Information Technology
The pre-assignment consists of two parts (A and B) and each part is worth 50 points max. Note that both A and B parts of the assignment are mandatory and missing any of them will result 0 points for the pre-assignment. Note also that the pre-assignment needs to be written in English.
- Part A: The students selected to the degree programme need to have both academic knowledge and work experience in the field of ICT, automation, electronics or electrical engineering or other field of engineering. Please add your CV to the assignment, including both your educational and professional background. The information given to the electrical online application is used only to verify that the applicant meets the general eligibility requirements. If you have done any studies after your Bachelor studies, please include that information into your CV.
Studying in the Master’s programme requires that the student is capable of participating in the classes and doing independent homework. It is not mandatory to participate in all classes, but high participation is expected. Therefore, high motivation and support from the employer are essential for the applicant.
Write an essay on yourself including:
- why you want to study in the Master’s degree programme
- your motivation and capability (e.g. English language skills) to take part in the programme
The length of the essay should be roughly one A4. Please place it at the beginning of your CV with a headline “Preliminary Assignment A”.
- Part B: The Master’s thesis is an important part of the study programme. The topic should be relevant to your employer (or other similar target group). Write an essay on a problem you consider a good potential topic for your Master’s thesis.
In the essay you should:
- identify the problem
- put the problem into the general framework of understanding
- formulate your research question, i.e. what is the question(s) you aim to answer
- explain how you would study the subject
The length of the essay should be roughly two A4s. Please remember to add your name and a headline “Preliminary Assignment B” at the beginning of the essay. If you are selected to the program, you may change your Master’s thesis topic, the topic introduced here is by no means binding.
Note: Once the application period has ended, Metropolia representative may ask the applicant to join an online meeting in case some issues in the application needs to be clarified. In this case a separate email invitation will be send to the email address given by the applicant.
Upload your pre-assignment to your online application at Studyinfo by the end of the application period.