If you have been admitted to a study programme, you will receive a notification of this to your email. You must confirm the study place by the given deadline, or you will lose your place. You can confirm only one study place per academic term. Confirming a study place is a binding choice, and you cannot cancel or change your choice later. When you confirm a study place bindingly, all your other study programmes will automatically be cancelled. After you have confirmed the study place, you need to enroll for the academic year as present or absent. Students are obligated enroll every academic year as present for absent.
Temporary changes in the Universities of Applied Sciences Act (932/2014):
- The University of Applied Sciences is not obliged to implement the studies if it is not possible due to the covid-19 pandemic (14 §).
- Delays in the progress of studies due to the changes in the teaching arrangements referred above shall be taken into account when making a decision on the extension of the study time (14 §).
- A student may register as absent during the first academic year if he or she has been prevented from starting his or her studies due to an official order related to the covid-19 pandemic or for any other serious reason related to the covid-19 pandemic (29 §).
Decision of Metropolia University of Applied Sciences on 13 August 2020, implementation of the temporary law:
- If the studies are implemented as distance learning, the student does not automatically have the right to be absent based on the temporary the law but the right to be absent will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
According to the Universities Act/Universities of Applied Sciences Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- service under the Finnish Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);Required document: a call-up order
- maternity, paternity or parental leave;
Required document: Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy (or corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave).
- the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
Required document: Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies.
- the student is unable to start his or her studies due to an official order related to the covid-19 pandemic or for any other serious reason related to the covid-19 pandemic (possible during the temporary law only)
Obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury. Student's own notification is not an adequate clarification.
Please note. Registration as absent because of sickness or injury in the first academic year or at a later time during the studies will always count towards the right to be absent for one year. If the absence because of sickness or injury continues, it will be included in the normative duration of the studies, i.e. the period of the right to study. If the student’s sickness delays his or her studies, he or she may apply for a discretionary extension period.
Documents that prove the legal grounds for your absence must be delivered to the Admission Services by the deadline for accepting the study place. Please submit required documents proving that you have legal grounds for the absence via this link.
Should the legal grounds for your absence apply only to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning in August), you may register as absent for the entire academic year if you wish. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘absent’ during the spring term registration period. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘absent’ during the spring term registration period. Please note that registering for absence may affect your chances of receiving benefits.
If any of these above mentioned reasons occur after the registration period, the existing registration will not be changed, but will be taken into account when granting additional study time.
Students registering as absent should take into consideration the annual changes in the courses offered at Metropolia and the effect they may have on their personal study plan. The training may be discontinued entirely during the period of absence or be arranged again only after several years. Metropolia will not separately arrange any studies that have changed or been discontinued during a student's absence. Students are advised to carefully consider any period of absence and to discuss the matter first with a representative of the degree programme.