Welcome to study for a degree at Metropolia!
Congratulations! You have been admitted to Metropolia University of Applied Sciences and we are delighted to have you as a new member of our vibrant community of more than 16 000 students!
You have made an excellent choice - Metropolia offers you unique multidisciplinary opportunities throughout your studies with its strong connections to working life and active role in innovations built around socially significant phenomena.
We are happy to have you with us and help you with any questions you might have. Welcome to Metropolia!
The below information applies to students who have been accepted to study for a full degree at Metropolia. Make sure to complete all the steps in order to secure your study place.
Confirming the study place
Confirming a place of study requires certain formalities to be completed by the deadline. More detailed instructions below:
- confirming the study place for education beginning in autumn 2022
- confirming the study place for education beginning in spring 2023
Practical arrangements before beginning of the studies
Apply for a residence permit immediately after you have confirmed the study place
Non-EU/EEA students need a student residence permit. You can begin the student residence permit application online at Enterfinland.fi. Remember that you must personally visit a Finnish embassy or consulate as part of this process. Start your residence permit process as soon as possible, carefully following the immigration authorities' instructions and regulations, so that you can receive your permit in good time before your studies begin! You can find detailed information and advice on the residence permit requirements and procedures on the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) website.
Please follow the Finnish Immigration Service’s Corona page for updates.
Please follow Studyinfo’s COVID-19 information page for updates.
Step-by-step guide for starting your immigration process:
- Check your National Learner ID (shows at Studyinfo in the same place where you accept the study place) and write it down for yourself, as you must inform it when applying for a residence permit.
- Prepare for the application by checking you have all the necessary attachments and information before you begin.
- Create your user account in Enter Finland online service
- Fill in the application form for student residence permit carefully and accurately. Also attach all the required documents. This will help the Immigration service when they will process your application later.
- Please follow the bulletins issued by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs on the ministry’s web page.
- Pay and submit your application
- Visit the selected authority to identify yourself
- Follow the processing of your application
Apply for a Finnish personal identity code if you do not have one
All Metropolia's students who do not have a Finnish personal identity code, have to apply for it before their arrival or register at the local registry office after their arrival to Finland to apply for one.
Students who have to apply for residence permit (i.e. non-EU/non-EEA citizens) before their arrival to Finland should ask to be registered in the Finnish Population Information System when they apply for their first residence permit. This way they will receive a Finnish personal identity code at the same time as they are issued with the permit. More information on this for residence permit applicants
Other students have to apply for the personal identity code from the local registry office of the city where you are living in. More information on registration to the Finnish Population Information System
Please note that it can take approximately 4 weeks to get the code. After you have received the personal identification code, remember to inform it to the Student and Admission Services.
Arrange your accommodation
Metropolia does not have housing services to offer. Thus, it is the student's responsibility to find an accommodation for the period of their studies. There is a lot of competition in affordable housing, so it is important to start searching for a room many months prior to arrival. More information on accommodation
Check your health insurance
All foreign students (who are not EU citizens or citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland) who come to Finland for the purposes of studying are required to have a health insurance, if the studies endure longer than three months. More information on insurances
Check if you are entitled to have student financial aid
Student financial aid is for Finnish citizens. Foreign citizens are entitled to student financial aid if they live in Finland on a permanent basis for the purpose other than studying and they have registered as permanent residents in the Finnish population register system. More information on student financial aid
Find out when and where your studies start
Degree programme specific instructions will be available later during the spring 2021
Plan your arrival
- Find out where your campus is located
- If you have a smart phone you can download the free HSL mobile app to get access to the public transportation Journey Planner and tickets (e.g. for travelling from the Helsinki-Vantaa airport to your apartment or from your apartment to the campus).
- If you have a smart phone you can download the Tuudo mobile app for free to get your digital student ID and student discounts (ID and discounts are available from the first day of the studies onwards)
- Information on student life and well-being, costs and finance, study environment etc.
When you start as a new student you need to activate your user account. The purpose of the activation is that you personally accept the rules of the account usage policy and start using your account. Activate your user account primarily using Mobile Certificate and Netbank User ID. Please read first the instructions in IT Services wiki.
Tuudo mobile app
Tuudo is a mobile app with which you can use various Metropolia web services easily on your smart phone. With Tuudo you can get VR, HSL, Matkahuolto and Kela student discounts immediately. The benefits are free for all Metropolia students.
In Tuudo you can check Metropolia, Admission Services, and student union METKA announcements, your schedule, study attainments, and cafeteria menus.
Get Tuudo on your phone from the app store for free and start using it!
Degree Specific Instructions
Bachelor's degree programmes
- Biomedical Laboratory Science top-up degree
- European Business Administration
- Fhysiotherapy top-up degree
- Information Technology
- International Business and Logistics
- Nursing, aimed at immigrants
- Nursing, top-up degree
- Social Services
Master's degree programmes
- Business Informatics
- Construction and Real Estate Management
- Culture and Arts in Creativity and Arts in Social and Health Fields, Master of Culture and Arts
- Culture and Arts in Creativity and Arts in Social and Health Fields, Master of Social Services and/or Health Care
- Health Business Management
- Health Care Diagnostics
- Industrial Management
- Information Technology
- Business Informatics and Procurement: Information for students selected based on Metropolia's Open UAS studies or Finnish Higher Education studies