Pre-assignment for studies starting in the autumn term 2023
This pre-assignment consists of two parts (PART 1 and PART 2) worth a maximum of 100 points in total. The maximum points per part are shown below. In order to be accepted to the programme, a minimum of 40 points is required. You must answer all the questions.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Procurement consists of 90 ECTS, which equals 2400 hours of student’s study time. The studies are organized in a way that enables the student to complete the degree in 2 years while studying part-time alongside work.
This programme relies on collaborative online learning. This mode of studying requires the ability to effectively manage schedules, take responsibility of one’s own learning and high level of motivation and participation online.
Master´s thesis is a relevant part of the studies. It is based on a development project aiming at solving practical business problems. The Master’s thesis equals 30 ECTS (800 hours of student’s work). In the thesis process, the student plans and implements a development project, which aims at improving an aspect of a partner organization’s procurement and sourcing function.
PART 1: PRELIMINARY PERSONAL STUDY PLAN (20 points)
Answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in receiving a Master of Business Administration Degree in Procurement? What kind of competencies do you want to develop and how are you going to utilize this education in your career path?
- Create your personal study plan based on the curriculum (please find the curriculum online). Create a timeline and assess the realism of your study plan. Briefly explain what motivates you in your selection of business studies and elective studies. (This selection is not binding as you may change your selection later).
- Since you are expected to study part- time alongside work, how will you manage your time to complete the Master´s degree programme in the given study time? How will you fit your studies with other priorities in life (family, hobbies etc.)? What kind of support do you have available to enable these studies? What do you need to compromise to find time for the studies?
PART 2: DEVELOPING WORKING LIFE WITH ACTION RESEARCH (80 points)
2.1. Describing a potential problem (40 points)
Action research aims at permanent change in an organization. A researcher participates in the development work as an active actor in collaboration with others. In Master of Business Administration Degree in Procurement action research is the given research approach.
Describe some procurement/sourcing related problem, which you are interested in, and which would suit as basis for a development project either in your own organization or in some other partner organization. Describe shortly the potential partner organization.
Justify with help of 5-10 relevant sources (information from a potential partner organization, academic literature, articles etc.), why you find this problem worth studying in more detail from the viewpoint of
- the development of the professional field
- the partner organization
- your own personal development
- action research perspective
- What benefits could action research provide you and the partner organization?
- What challenges might arise?
2.2. Preliminary ideas for a development project plan (40 points)
Create a preliminary plan for your potential development project. Describe how you would implement it in practice as an action researcher.
- What background information do you need to understand the current state of procurement and sourcing function in the organization and to pinpoint the development need? What kind of qualitative and quantitative research methods would you use in finding that out?
- What type of project management and organizational development methods are you already familiar with that you could use in the project?
- What new methods and skills would you need to implement the project?
- What kind of financial, human, and time-related resources would be needed in the project?
- Who would be needed to support the project?
- How would you measure the success of the development project?
Upload your pre-assignment as separate attachment to your online application at Studyinfo.fi. Please note that the development project you introduce here is by no means binding to be implemented, if you are selected to study in the degree programme.
Please add also a copy of your identification document (e.g. passport) and your CV to the assignment. The CV should include both your educational and professional background. (The information given on the online application is for the purposes of verifying that the applicant meets the general eligibility requirements.)