The student is each year responsible for enrolling as present or non-attending. Enrollment is obligatory for all students and is done through the intranet OMA by the deadline set by Metropolia (see Academic Calendar).
Enrollment on a Yearly Basis
The student will lose the study right in case the enrollment is not done by the set deadline. Based on an application, the Head of Student Affairs can restore the study right when there is an acceptable reason for that. The study right is restored at earliest at the beginning of the following term.
According to the Government Decree (1440/2014) concerning processing fees for applications for discretionary time extensions or for the restoration of the right to study, universities of applied sciences shall charge a fee of EUR 50.
Absence Regulations if Studies Started 1.8.2015 or After
According to the Universities Act/Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only (concerning students who have started studies 1.8.2015 or after):
1) service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
- Document to be delivered: Call up order
2) maternity, paternity or parental leave;
- Document to be delivered:
- Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy
- Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave
3) the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury
- Document to be delivered:
- Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies on 1 August 2015.
- In case of obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury. The student's own notification is not an adequate clarification.
- If a student registers as absent during the first academic year due to illness or injury, he/she will be using up one or two of the permitted maximum amount of absent terms.
Students who have confirmed their study place in Autumn 2015 or after that may enroll as absent for a maximum of one academic year without using up the right to study period. Students may also be absent during their studies for attending military, non-military or woman's voluntary military service or being on maternity, paternity or parental leave without using the right to study period.
If a student is absent because of the above-mentioned reasons, the student has to deliver a document to the Student Affairs Office concerning the absence.
Absence Regulations if Studies Started Before 1.8.2015
Degree students who have started their studies before 1 August 2015 may, by making a notification of absence, be absent for a total of two academic years, which will not count towards the official completion time of studies.
Regulations for Non-Attending Students
In case the student has enrolled as non-attending, she/he may not
- attend classes
- complete courses or category of study
- register for courses
- receive student financial aid
- get subsidised student meals
Metropolia recommends that the student only enrolls as non-attending when totally necessary. When the student enrolls as non-attending, she/he needs to take into consideration the possible changes in the course selection and their effect on the personal study plan. The curricula are planned on a yearly basis, and same courses might be offered again or only years later. Students should carefully consider before enrolling as non-attending and be in contact with the representative of the Degree Programme in question.