Welcome to study for a degree at Metropolia!
Are you an exchange student? See The Welcome Package for Exchange Students
The below information applies to students who have been accepted to study for a full degree at Metropolia. Make sure to complete all the steps in order to secure your study place.
Confirm the study place
To maintain your right to enrol in Metropolia UAS, you must complete the following four steps by the deadline mentioned in the admission notification email:
- Confirm the offered study place by the given deadline via the link in the admission notification email. If you have a Finnish social security number and Finnish online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID-card, you can confirm the offered study place in the My Studyinfo -service. In general, the study place must be confirmed by 8 July 2019 at 3 pm (EET) or within 10 days of the results of the selections being made public.
- Pay the tuition fee if applicable (the invoice will be sent via email within a few days of the admission notification).
- Enroll for the academic year as present or absent via the link you have received in the notification of admission email or at My Studyinfo -service. NB! If you register as absent you are required to deliver a document proving that you have legal grounds for the absence.
- Deliver copies/pictures of the certificates relevant to the student selection of the degree programme in question (unless you already have attached them previously to the application) by the deadline for confirming the study place. Certificates are delivered by returning to the application and downloading the documents as an appendix. You can enter the application via the link you have received in the confirmation email of the application or by using the My Studyinfo -service.
Absence on the first year
According to the Universities Act/Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- service under the Finnish Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
- maternity, paternity or parental leave;
- the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
Should the legal grounds for your absence apply only to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning in August), you may register as absent for the entire academic year if you wish. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘absent’ during the spring term registration period. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘absent’ during the spring term registration period.
Service under the Finnish Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995):
Required document: a call-up order
Maternity, paternity or parental leave:
- Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy
- Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave
- Personal illness or injury:
- Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies on 1 August 2017.
- Obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury. Student's own notification is not an adequate clarification.
If you register as absent in your first academic year, but fail to deliver sufficient clarification regarding the grounds for your absence within the deadline specified by the university, you will lose your right to study. If you wish to begin your studies at a later time, you must apply for readmission from the university. Readmission does not require participation in the student admissions procedure.
Metropolia recommends that the student only enrolls as absent when totally necessary. When the student enrolls as absent, she/he needs to take into consideration the possible changes in the course selection and their effect on the personal study plan. The curricula are planned on a yearly basis, and same courses might be offered again or only years later. Students should carefully consider before enrolling as absent and be in contact with the representative of the Degree Programme in question.
In case the student has enrolled as absent, she/he may not
- attend classes
- complete courses or category of study
- register for courses
- receive student financial aid
- get subsidised student meals
Practical arrangements before beginning of the studies
Degree Specific Instructions
Info will be published soon